Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1 Cyclone and 1 Tsunami
















2 weeks ago, all the Peace Corps in Vava'u spent 3 nights in a Mormon Church in the center of town. There was a crazy cyclone here. The winds were rough, the trees were shaking. Coconuts were flying. I thought I was going to die. The Mormon churches are known to b
e the safest place to stay. We were very safe. It was an interesting and crazy experience because we were not allowed to leave the Mormon compound. Just imagine.....

Many houses were destroyed. Some were demolished. I live next to a church, so the Church Hall caved in as well as the Band House at my school. Neither one has the money to replace the houses at the moment. My 2 neighbors houses were damaged. My house was fine. I felt very lucky. We were without electricity for around one week. Your lifestyle is very different without running water, a running fridge and lights
. Bedtime gets earlier.

1 week later. We were camping and we got a call that there is a warning for a Tsunami in Tonga due to the crazy ring of fire. I headed home, I live on a mountain, the safest place to be during a Tsunami. Luckily, nothing happened to Tonga. I was waiting and waiting , watching the sea. I saw nothing. There was a 1 meter wave , but I could see nothing.

I am hoping there will not be another natural disaster in the South Pacific any time soon. We shall see...

Things are getting back to normal, or as normal as they can be in Tonga.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.